Sub county electrification to cost USD 200M


By Ronald Kabuye
Government through the ministry of energy and mineral development has committed to have the electricity at every sub county in the country in the next three years.
The line minister Eng. Irene Muloni revealed that the Usdollar 200 million project which shall be implemented by the rural electrification agency is under process in the ministry of the finance and soon shall be rolled out.
Apparently access to rule electrification stands at 22% leaving the 78% in darkness with 117 district headquarters connected to national grid leaving out only four districts that’s Kotido,  Kaabong, Buyende and Buvuma though government has plans of connecting them by 2019.
Muloni said that their target is to have all Ugandans having sustainable energy given the fact that they are soon implementing a policy of connecting the houses with a prepaid metre known as yaka.
She further urged Ugandans to take advantage of the renewable energy like solar,  nuclear amongst others since a total of 32.7MW of power generation capacity from renewable energy project was added during the last financial.
This was revealed during the ministry of energy and mineral development 7th joint sector review 2017 held at Speke resort munyonyo


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.