Viewers: 90,004
By Spy Uganda
Ugandan health authorities have traced and isolated 127 people, most of them frontline health workers, in an aggressive effort to prevent the spread of Ebola after two imported cases of the Sudan strain were confirmed in Kampala.
Officials from the Ministry of Health said the two patients, both nationals of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, entered Uganda while infected with the Ebola Sudan Virus Disease. One patient is currently receiving treatment at the Ebola isolation and treatment unit at Mulago National Referral Hospital, while the other identified as the index case died on May 14 at Kibuli Muslim Hospital.
The deceased patient, a Congolese national, had sought treatment in Kampala before succumbing to the disease. His body was returned to the DRC on the same day.
Authorities stressed that, despite the confirmed imported cases, no person residing in Uganda has tested positive for Ebola.
“We have identified, traced and isolated 127 contacts, mainly health workers who treated the patients and the driver who transported them to the hospital,” said Alan Kasujja, Executive Director of the Uganda Media Centre and head of communications for the national Ebola response. “All have been quarantined, and none has tested positive.”
The rapid contact tracing and isolation effort underscores Uganda’s extensive experience in managing Ebola outbreaks, having successfully contained several previous epidemics.
As part of enhanced containment measures, the government has postponed this year’s Uganda Martyrs’ Day celebrations and intensified health screening at border points and other entry locations.
Kasujja urged the public to remain calm, emphasizing that Uganda’s health system is well prepared to contain the virus and protect the population.
“Uganda has consistently demonstrated strong capacity in handling epidemics, often outperforming many countries with more advanced health systems,” he said.
He also called on the international community to focus greater attention on eastern DRC, where the outbreak originated, rather than issuing travel and health advisories that could unfairly stigmatize Uganda.
Medical experts say early detection remains critical. Dr. Tonny Musoke Sekikongo, a consultant physician at the Mulago Ebola Treatment Unit, explained that symptoms of the Sudan strain can appear between two and 21 days after exposure.
Initial symptoms include fever, severe headache, muscle pain, fatigue and red eyes. As the illness progresses, patients may develop sore throat, chest pain, abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhoea.
The Ministry of Health has urged anyone who suspects an Ebola case to immediately report it by calling the toll-free hotline 0800-100-066 or by sending a free SMS to 6767.
With all known contacts under quarantine and no secondary infections detected so far, authorities say Uganda’s swift response offers strong reassurance that the imported cases are being effectively contained.
, https://www.spyuganda.com/ebola-outbreak-uganda-quarantines-over-100-as-imported-cases-enter-kampala/
pressug.com News 24 7
