How to relieve nasal congestion?
Nasal congestion, which affects the quality of life and seriously disturbs people, may be caused by simple flu infections or seasonal transitions.
Nasal congestion, which affects the quality of life and seriously disturbs people, may be caused by simple flu infections or seasonal transitions. However, if constant nasal congestion causes insomnia, fatigue, snoring, loss of performance or serious illnesses, it must be treated.
Causes of Nasal Congestion
- Curvatures in the nasal bone or cartilage: The most common cause of chronic nasal congestion is curvatures in the nasal bone or cartilage. In general, curvatures that occur as a result of an accident make breathing difficult.
- Nasal meatus: There are tissues called turbinates in the nose that regulate the temperature and moisturize the air passing through the nose. These flesh can grow large enough to cause nasal congestion due to allergic or inflammatory reasons.
- Infection: Colds caused by viruses are one of the most common causes of nasal congestion. Infections cause edema and fluid secretion in the nasal mucosa. In this case, it creates nasal congestion.
- Allergic rhinitis: Nasal congestion is observed in allergic rhinitis, which develops due to house mites, pollen, dust, animal dander and some foods that cause allergies.
- Tumors in the nose that cause serious nasal congestion and the growth of adenoid tissue, especially in children, can also cause nasal congestion.
What Should Be Done for Nasal Congestion?
To find a solution to nasal congestion, you should first see an ear, nose and throat specialist. As with all diseases, the treatment of nasal congestion is directed towards the cause. Endoscopy method can be applied to find the underlying cause. Nasal sprays or nasal wash solutions containing steroids may be recommended by the doctor for nasal congestion due to allergic rhinitis or nasal contagion. Nose surgery can be performed to relieve nasal congestion that cannot be resolved with medication, such as nasal curvature. Another method used in the treatment of nasal congestion is radiofrequency surgery. Opening nasal congestion by using high-frequency radiofrequency waves is a healthier and more comfortable method for the patient.
What is Good for Nasal Congestion?
- The most important factor that triggers nasal congestion is smoking. To prevent nasal congestion, if you smoke, you should quit and stay away from smoking environments.
- Consuming less amount of milk during nasal congestion is also good for nasal congestion.
- Consuming herbal teas such as lemon, ginger, mint, cinnamon and turmeric can be good for nasal congestion.
- Salt water is good for nasal congestion. During periods of congestion, you can inhale salt into your nose or swim in the sea.
- Especially those who are in air-conditioned or heated environments should humidify the environment to prevent nasal congestion. Keeping a steam machine or boiling water in the room is good for nasal congestion.
- Consuming vegetables and fruits containing vitamin C is good for nasal congestion.