Lying on your back causes lower back pain
According to statistics, waist and back pain are among the health problems that are very common in society and experienced by almost everyone at some point in their lives. Anadolu Health Center Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Specialist Prof. emphasized that the most important reason for the increase in pain in the waist and back areas, especially in recent years, is a sedentary lifestyle and weight gain. Dr. Semih Akı said, “As a result, the waist and back muscles weaken and the load on the waist area increases. “Preventing waist and back pain is much easier than treating it,” he said.
Anadolu Health Center Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Specialist Prof. said that although different types of back pain occur due to different reasons, it is generally thought that back pain in society is caused by a herniated disc. Dr. Semih Akı said, “However, very few back pains are caused by a herniated disc. “A herniated disc, which usually occurs suddenly at a young age in situations such as falling from somewhere, lifting heavy items or making an adverse movement while doing sports, is never seen alone, especially in middle age and above.”
Sudden onset back pain can be improved with methods such as physical therapy and rest.
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Specialist Prof. stated that most of the sudden onset of low back pain can be completely resolved with methods such as rest, medication and physical therapy. Dr. Semih Akı said, “However, in some people with this type of pain, this pain can become chronic and last much longer and may not be relieved by methods such as physical therapy, medication or rest.” Explaining that medication, corset use, injections and psychotherapy treatment methods can be applied for chronic waist and back pain, Prof. Dr. Semih Akı said, “Waist and back pain can be treated surgically, although they are not very common. “Surgery can only be performed in 2-5 percent of patients,” he said. Prof. Dr. Akı stated that you can be protected from waist and back pain at home, on the street, in the office and while sleeping.
- Before lifting an item, try to estimate how heavy it is. When picking it up, bend your knees and squat down. Bending from the waist is not a correct move.
- When picking up an item, do not reach towards it, get closer to it.
- Housewives should not stretch their waist by reaching up while hanging laundry. The level of the rope must be adjusted according to the height of the woman.
- If you must carry weight, divide the load equally between both hands. Do not lift heavy loads higher than your waist. Also, keep the item close to your body.
- When getting out of bed, first turn on your side, then get into a sitting position by bending your legs while getting side support with your hands and stand up. To go to bed, reverse these steps and lie down on the bed.
- Avoid lying flat on your stomach or back as much as possible. The appropriate thing to do is to lie down as if you were in the womb, pulling your hips and knees together and gathering your legs.
In the office
- Be sure to sit in an upright position and make this a habit.
- In the correct sitting position, your knee joints should be higher than your hip joints and the soles of your feet should be in full contact with the ground.
- Change positions from time to time while sitting. You should not maintain the same sitting position for more than 30-40 minutes.
- When getting up from the chair, one foot should be in front of the other, and your back should be in an upright position as you push yourself upwards with the help of your leg muscles and arms.
- The table-chair-computer relationship in the office should always comply with the recommended dimensions.
on the street
- If you have to stand for a while outside or in a closed place, raise it slightly by placing an object 15-20 cm high under one foot. After a while, put your other foot.
- While standing, do not pick up anything from the floor by turning your waist to the right or left or bending over. If you need to turn, turn with your feet, not your waist.
- If you need to tie your shoes or do a similar movement, do it by squatting or standing on a high object.
- When driving, adjust your seat so that it is slightly above your knees and hips.